Sunday, March 24, 2013

For the Love of a Makeover!! Sneak Preview



 FINALLY... my projects are coming to an end . I've been working on our soon to be new home for nearly 4 years. Yes, I know that is a long time, but I only work there in the late fall and late spring on weekends when the weather is beautiful. I wish I could put similar restrictions in place with my real job..something like..... "I'll only be at work on cold rainy days".... wonder what my employer would say? 

ANYWAY... back to my DIY progress. The picture above is just a tiny nook in my soon to be master bedroom. I imagined all sorts of wonderful ideas for this nook. I thought about a built in cabinet, or a lot of shelving, or a reading nook with a cozy chair... and I finally settled on something similar to what was there prior to my renovation. I didn't lack in imagination, just skills to build something elaborate. So I went with what I knew.



The chest of drawers is an upcycle. Originally, it was creme with gold trim and dark hardware. A good coat of kilz spray paint, then dry brushed with acrylic "patina" paint, and sanded, gave it a new life. I kept the tiny night stand too. It will fit perfectly in the room.



The shelf above the chest was there originally but no longer matched the room, so I painted it white and added 2 wooden shelf brackets from Goodwill. At $2 for 2, the brackets gave the shelf some character. 

This room is a beach themed room, so high above the shelf  in the nook's tip top corner where nothing fits, I upcycled another GW find. A shadowbox with a sand dollar inside. I painted the frame with acrylic paint "Turquoise", then sanded it for a distressed look.

The painting of the Nautilus shell was created in a wonderful painting class that I took from thepreppypossum  If you ever get a chance to take one of her classes, please do, you will not regret it.

The room was beautiful before I ever started this Makeover. It was my room growing up, then it was my mom and dad's room when we left home and finally it was my mom's room until the end. It was a tough makeover. The room had so much heart and soul and memories. But I was lucky to have two wonderful nieces that came to help with the "undoing" of it all. They even fixed a drink & snack and brought kleenex to me when I cried because I missed my mom. New memories were made with lots of giggles and hugs!



The floor and walls were the first to be completed. The walls were covered with brown paneling that had to be removed and years of soot build up behind the paneling that had to be cleaned before any paint could be applied. I used Kilz to cover any remaining soot residue and then a latex white paint to make the room shine!!! I used kilz on the floor also, then sanded it for a distressed look. I added 6 coats of a good sealer "Lowes Varathane"... I will never use anything else. It is the best non scratch slip slide dry quick sealer ever.  





I don't have a final picture yet. Curtains need to be hung, a rug on the floor and a new bed purchased and boxes unpacked before I can say it is complete. But does a true DIYer ever really finish??  





No comments: