Friday, July 1, 2011

My purpose in life!

If you read my blog long enough, you'll realize that when I'm crafting, I either work alone or with a small crew... when I say small crew, I mean under 11. When I say under 11, I mean in age!!  I am so blessed to have a home just across the garden from my niece and nephews. They love DIY projects!! They love slinging paint! They love hammers, nails, saws (don't tell their mom) and pliers! And they work for snacks!!! What could be better??
It took me a while to understand how blessed I really am. I've worked at the same job for 30 years (I started at age 4, really....). I've never really known what I am supposed to do with my life. Teach??!?! Art??!?! Own a business?!?!? What do I want to do?!?!?! Where am I supposed to be?!?!?!

I've probably asked myself those questions one zillion times. And here I am in the exact same place, day in and day out, work, sleep, eat.... But this year, I noticed something that had missed my attention. I have been able to teach my youngest niece and nephews some of the things that took me years to learn. Already, they have experimented with Stained Glass, Patio Paints, Stepping stones, Painted Rocks, and more. We have knocked down walls, painted cabinets and floors, painted barns, built potting benches, caulked cracks, used joint compound, replaced drywall using stuff we had torn down, repurposed furniture, searched for rocks to paint, created Christmas ornaments, ate lots of chocolate and so much more!! We all share the love for a good craft or a great DIY project. I didn't know how much impact I was making in their lives until Jack, age 9,  presented me with this neat drawing of the four of us working together!! Most family drawings have the family holding hands or something.... not my family... notice in the picture that all the kids  have tools. And in case you don't recognize me, I'm the one in the pink shirt, smiling, holding a crowbar.... with the great hair!!! Its nice to know that they see me this way.

I think I have found my purpose!!!

Now... where was that project on how to create a wall to display children's artwork... I think I'm going to need it!!


No comments: