Friday, April 29, 2011

Stencil a Mural!!

This project is easier than it looks so don't be alarmed. I dressed up this boring stairwell by using stencils, sponges, paint, and lots of imagination! Magazines and coloring books are great places to find decorative ideas!

Using a rectangle sponge, I created the faux brick wall with a terracotta acrylic paint. It's not perfect, but I like it. Ivy was created using a stencil and green paint, and I used a paintbrush to create the roses. You can find stencils for everything like flower pots, birdhouses and a picket fence!


If you look really close you can see a possum hanging from the fence rail. I didn't have a stencil, but I used a child's coloring book to get that design. The tree limb and flowers are painted freehand, but I promise, you can find stencils for those also.

To finish the stairs, I stenciled Ivy all the way down, then coated with a good sealer. It has lasted for nearly 14 years!! Now that is durability!!

No comments: