Monday, April 4, 2011

Furniture Makeover



BEFORE - This is the Dresser with mirror


AFTER - This is the matching chest of drawers

I love to Repurpose anything that can be repurposed!! In the process of renovating our old Farmhouse home, it seems logical and thrifty to re-use whatever we can. And if the results are great, then I want to share them.


I found this really nice set of furniture, a dresser with mirror, a chest of drawers, and a nightstand, in a room of the Farmhouse. They are solid and well built which is a must in repurposing. You can spend a lot of time repairing furniture, that may not be worth the trouble. So these pieces were perfect.

Here are the steps I took to remake this piece. The chest of drawers only took 1 1/2 hours to complete!!!

First I cleaned the pieces and lightly sanded them, then cleaned them again to remove the sanding dust.

Next, I used Kilz spray primer to cover the surface, drawer pulls and all. Then the fun part, I plugged up my sander and sanded away until bare wood showed through in places. This gave each piece a distressed look.

Then, using a stiff dry brush I added the seafoam green paint here and there to give a touch of color. TA DAHHHH!!!

I'm loving this beachy theme. I can't wait to finish all 3 pieces!!!

No comments: